On Tuesday 21st November, in partnership with Arts Council England and South West Museum Development Programme, Julie’s Bicycle is proud to present Stewards of Our Future: Museum’s Environmental Practice Today.
A one-day workshop at M Shed Bristol, Stewards of Our Future will foreground the unique role that museums can play in bridging the gap between culture and environmental sustainability. As well as highlighting the importance of cultural engagement in tackling the issues surrounding climate change, the event provides an opportunity to bring the museum sector together and both celebrate the incredible work already being done across the community and inspire attendees to take further action within their own organisations.
Honor Beddard, temporary exhibitions curator at the Wellcome Collection will be giving the keynote speech. Honor and the team at Wellcome have curated the Museum of Modern Nature and Making Nature exhibition as part of a year long programme that re-examines humankind’s relationship with the natural world.
We will also be joined by:
- David Martin, Operations Manager for Bristol Culture
- Henry McGhie, Head of Collections & Curator of Zoology, Manchester Museum
- Kevin Gosling, Chief Executive, Collections Trust
- Phil Collins, Consultant and Committee Member for Heritage Lottery Fund South West
- Tony Butler, Chair and Founder of The Happy Museum discussing the role of well-being in sustainable practice
- Anna Brennand, CEO Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust
- Laura Coleman, Founder & Chair of Trustees at ONCA
- Kevin Ward, Museum Development Manager at Museum in the Park
The event will also include the official launch of our new museum’s framework resource.
Attendees will have the opportunity to share skills and experiences in roundtable discussions on subjects including governance, audience engagement, wellbeing funding and collections.
We will also be joined by the remarkable British-Egyptian poet, playwright and performer Sabrina Mahfouz. Sabrina’s passionate and thought-provoking writing style has won her both critical acclaim and a number of awards including the Old Vic New Voices Edinburgh Award and the Sky Academy Arts Scholarship for Poetry.
Booking for this event has now closed.