Julie’s Bicycle has partnered with the British Film Institute (BFI) to deliver a new programme designed for the screen sector.
By supporting environmental understanding and action, the programme aims to lay a solid foundation for better environmental practice and a greener screen sector in the longer term.
About the programme
The BFI Sustainable Screen programme is for BFI National Lottery awardees and the wider screen sector. It runs from Autumn 2023 until March 2026.
The programme will support organisations to put the principle of environmental sustainability into practice – one of three core principles the BFI asks National Lottery awardees to apply to funded activity.
Julie’s Bicycle will deliver the Beyond Production programme. This focuses on the wider screen sector activity from cinemas, festivals and audience development to screen archives, skills development and sector promotion.
If you’re looking for support on filmmaking production and development then you can visit the BAFTA albert website.
“The screen sector’s ability to act on the climate crisis is crucial for the industry to thrive. It must adapt and build resilience.
The sector has a unique role to play. It has the ability to tell stories which shine a light on the issues we face and the solutions at hand. It can inspire positive action across its audiences and communities.”
– Alison Tickell, Founder and Director, Julie’s Bicycle.
Resources for the wider screen industries
Julie’s Bicycle will provide free resources for the screen industries available to all (starting in Autumn 2023):
These will include:
- Screen sector Top Tips – signposting to other key resources
- A series of webinars on climate literacy, understanding your impacts and developing environmental commitment and action
- Sharing stories to inspire and inform sector action
Sign up to our newsletter to make sure you don’t miss any announcements about resources, support and other news from us.
Additional support for BFI National Lottery funding beneficiaries
For organisations receiving BFI National Lottery funding for activity Beyond Production only (starting Autumn 2023):
- Guidance on where to start on environmental action and reporting
- Tailored support to specific groups and partners – these range from Film Hubs, screen archives and Film Academy Course providers to the delivery partners for Young Creatives and International Connections
- Guidance and support on impact reporting, using JB’s Creative Climate Tools
The above resources will be available on a password protected section of this website (access information will be provided via BFI Fund Teams in late 2023).