- Posted on April 5th, 2023
Counting on Culture: How to stop financing the environmental crises
Who is this briefing for?
This briefing is guidance for anyone working in culture. It explains how finances, including those of many cultural organisations, support the ongoing expansion of environmentally destructive industries.
This has to stop. The sector must take bold action to divest from fossil fuels, and advocate for a transition to a new financial system which puts environmental and social justice at its heart.
The briefing contains:
- How is finance linked to the climate and ecological crises
- What can divestment achieve
- Where does the money come from
- Climate justice and finance
- Loss and damage
- How tax reliefs favour fossil fuels
- What is happening at the climate (COP) negotiations
- What can the culture sector do – how to build sustainable finance into your organisation’s environmental policy and action plan
This briefing was supported using public funding by Arts Council England.